Thursday, June 25, 2009

The only real failure in life is the failure to get back up.

I love this video, it hurts me to think of the way people get treated by society, the lack of understanding that people have for setbacks and dilemmas.



It hurts me because I have experienced setbacks in the last 14 months, I was fortunate enough to be able to get back up, I also had friends who did not get the opportunity to get back up, they had real difficulties which ended in death, mine did not, not because of me, but because fortune shone on me and allowed me to do what was needed to get back on my feet.

It was challenging because I was taken away for a while, my survival was assisted by machines, by the medics, but they also drugged me to the extent that I temporarily ceased to exist, and as Rene Descartes would say, “I think, therefore I am”

In my life for a short while I was not allowed to think. In subsequent setbacks there have been further attempts to “control” my life, inferring that I am not capable of thinking and others should do the thinking for me, perhaps I have interpreted Descartes to mean “I drink, therefore I am”. I don’t think so, but others limited opinions on my life seem to be more important than mine, inferring that the dilemmas were all my fault, and that their opinions can protect me from any sort of setback in the future,

Perhaps we should pay more attention to the philosophy of Winston Churchill.

“When you are going through hell - Keep going”

Social armour can be important, it can protect us from genuine dangers and threats, but society nowadays has embraced fear, control, health and safety to the extent that social armour has grown so cumbersome that it is restrictive, people are not allowed to live their own lives outside the social norms, and are not acceptable unless they don the required social armour. (first time I ever felt the need to adapt a post, but apologies to all concerned)

Well I am not buying it, and I sure as hell am not wearing it.