Thursday, June 01, 2006

20 years on!




This may have been brought on by that show on RTE 1 last night called "20 years on, Ireland 1986 - 2006" but today i have this strange feeling that the world is passing me by quicker than i can keep up, i'm only 41 but i feel like Buster Keeton trying to keep up with the train, desperately hanging on, but knowing full well that no matter what i do it's going to get away from me, and the really strange thing is that lots of my friends are not even net savvy.

This leads me back to a question that has been bothering me for sometime, would a man lead a happier life if he grew up in a little villlage in the west coast, lived all his life there, knew everyone, never left and died there surounded by people he knew and loved. Or would he have lived better if he left at 16, emigrated to England, then went to America, made a fortune, travelled the world, and spent his whole life trying to catch that train that always seems to be going a little bit faster than you are, more knowledge, more travel, more money, more opportunity, more expectations.

I suppose i ask the question as a traveller, in the last month I've been to france, NYC and Portugal, I have "chasing" in my blood, chasing trains, sales, fun, life, but i often wonder, is it better to just live a quiet life in a quiet place?