Monday, June 11, 2007

Grab it.

My friend Ger died yesterday.

I'm more convinced than ever that I need to live life as big as possible.
Cancer is an equal opportunities employer, it does not discriminate on who it strikes and takes, and there simply is no reason for some stuff, we all try so hard to find meaning and reasons for everything, maybe there is none? maybe many things iin life are just completely cosmically random.... think of the fluke meeting you had with your now best friend, maybe you were put sitting beside them in school, or sat beside them in a dressing room, or were in a Q at the same time in Tesco.

It's the same with our partners, we just happened to be in a certain place at a certain time, i know that my life was dictated and directed by a draw from a hat in 1985, there were six people in training and six national offices to send them too, there was Sligo, Tralee, Mullingar, Dublin, Galway and Kilkenny. My name came out beside Sligo, it's been wonderful for me but the truth is i'll never know what it would have been like if i'd got Tralee, or Kilkenny but i do know it would have been different, chances are i'd be working at something different, married to someone different, have a different circle of friends and worst of all my children could have Kerry accents.

I think there's a lot to be said for poker, there's no control over the cards you get dealt, the best players are the ones who know how to make the best out of them.... Ger certainly played his well...