Monday, May 23, 2005

sport cruel sport

There I was, watching Man United suffer on Saturday after the penalty shootout, and I was beaming, gloating, delighted. Little did I know that the great god of Karma was looking down and taking notes, and that my team Glasgow Celtic were to suffer a far crueller fate before the weekend was out. 1-0 up with 2 minutes to play, the league flag ready to unfurl, we all watched in anticipation, wondering how best to celebrate this great achievement! and then 2 minutes later it was all gone, and gone to our deadliest rivals. Nobody could stomach watching them celebrate, it's funny how people deal with things like that, some people tried to laugh, some people cried, some tried to shake others out of it, but most just stood there - stunned - disbelieving - not wanting anything but to be left alone with thier pain -

I know it's only a game - but many people (including me at times) have given it the power of an emotional washing machine - where we can be tossed and wrung and sometimes spun to pieces. I had to go to two communion parties afterwards - I dragged myself to them - when people asked about the match i said things about it being "only a game" and "sure nobody died" and other such stuff - the fact is that to most fans it's much more than a game - it's a microcosm of life itself, where we get to experience the most acute ups and downs, where we learn about hope and expectation and dissapointment - where we understand that nothing is forever - that the only constant is change - and that for most of us - life just goes on - whatever mountain we happen to be on top of today - whatever valley we are slumped in tomorrow - all will change - everything passes.

so what have i learned - I've learned never to take anything for granted - the good times, my friends, my family, my health - to always appreciate what I've got right here right now-

And I've learned that the only failure in life is a loss of hope, to stop believing that we will bounce back, to accept that the way it is now is the way it will always be, it won't and I know why it won't, because that big fooking god of Karma is waiting way up there wondering what is the best test he can throw at you next.

Hail Hail - We'll be back.